Thursday, May 01, 2008

Raising the curtain

Three years ago, I posted some thoughts on La Clemenza di Tito -- Mozart's masterpiece of 1791 -- and the Met's now-revived (as of this coming Saturday) production thereof.

Given Susan Graham's successes (elsewhere) as Sesto and how terrific Ramon Vargas has been of late, it's a shame this run seems so poorly sold. Of course, that Gelb and the press only seem to promote revivals for sopranos doesn't help...

*     *     *

Meanwhile, if you're considering seeing The First Emperor, do yourself a favor and don't.

3 comments:

  1. God help me, I still want to see if First Emperor really could be *that* bad.

    Odds are possible for the Clemenza this Saturday, because it's so poorly sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always considered Clemenza deadly dull, but maybe I should give it another chance. On the basis of this cast, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are only 4 or 5 shows of Clemenza - I wonder why? Perhaps squeezed in among the Fille madness. It's not even being broadcast on radio. I'm a big Susie fan but as I live in the Midwest I've got to ration my trips (this summer it's SF and Susie/Natalie there).

    ReplyDelete

Absolutely no axe-grinding, please.