Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Orfeo cast change watch

Please note: I have no reason to believe this will happen. However, should anyone hear of David Daniels cancelling any performances in this new Met production, please leave a comment on this post or send me an email (at the sidebar address). His cover seems to be Tamara Mumford -- the woman I felt should sing the part in the first place -- and I would not like to miss any Orfeos she may do.

Meanwhile the Euridice of the staging is now the lovely and talented Maija Kovalevska. Did the originally scheduled Lisa Milne, I wonder, fall afoul of some Gelb weight directive? Milne did, at any rate, seem an odd choice for a physical Mark Morris production from the start, and though I enjoyed the sound of her Met debut, Kovalevska is no slouch there either.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard anything, but I'm devoutly hoping for a cast change. Orfeo is too low and too big for Daniels, and he's not sounding in the best shape right now either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and he's not sounding in the best shape right now either"

    Are you hiding a review of Cesare in there, SM?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened to a little bit of the broadcast, but didn't hear him in the house, so, ummm, not quite. I got lazy/busy/whatever and ended up seeing the second cast, which was pleasant enough but reinforced my opinion that the Met is too damn big for Handel, unless you're in like the fourth row of the orchestra.

    I'm currently nursing a general grudge against countertenors for no particular reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not going to this run of Orfeos because I do not want my memories of Podles' Orfeo tainted by a countertenor.

    ReplyDelete

Absolutely no axe-grinding, please.