Wednesday, September 07, 2011

New page

As perhaps with many of you, I only sporadically follow opera during the offseason, so it wasn't until the Met emailed me its cancellation of Levine's conversation next week that I discovered, belatedly, that things had become this serious:
Metropolitan Opera music director James Levine has canceled his fall conducting engagements after reinjuring his back, and Italian conductor Fabio Luisi has been named principal conductor.
Even though I don't really want to see him as a long-term first option in the pit, Luisi has done well or better in most of his engagements here. I wish him well for the season.

In more blog-specific news, I've finished the summer hiatus. Unlike, you know, City Opera, a lone electronic pamphleteer can vanish for a while and reappear pretty easily. But that's a topic for another post...

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you back. Love your blog & have missed you!

    ReplyDelete

Absolutely no axe-grinding, please.