Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Addenda

The author of that much-discussed WSJ piece last week blogs her reaction to the big Fille aria:
I’m not an opera expert, but I’ve been paying a lot of attention to it lately, as I reported an article about the Metropolitan Opera for the Wall Street Journal. So when The New York Times posted a recording of the "Ah! Mes Amis” aria sung by Peruvian tenor Juan Diego Flórez during the performance of “La Fille du Regiment” at the Met on April 21, I clicked on the link. In it, Florez hits high C, which is about as high as men can reach, nine times. You hear the crowd roar, and you hear Florez do it all over again. I felt a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.
The correspondent who sent this link notes that Florez encored the piece again last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Absolutely no axe-grinding, please.